As we are well and truly in the midst of summer, I thought it would be a good time to bring out my new flowerpot cupcake baking cases and start making some delicious chocolate and vanilla buttercream summer cupcakes.
I absolutely love the style of these cupcakes, they are so cute and look quite original too. I’ve never actually used silicone cases before, but they are so easy to use and I can honestly say that I absolutely love them! Not only is the design great (I love a nice flowerpot design), but they are totally reusable as well.
I bought the cases several months ago, but I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of warmer weather before initially using them and as we had such lovely weather last weekend, I thought it would be a great opportunity to finally get them out of the cupboard and make some scrumptious cupcakes for a family barbeque we were hosting. Needless to say, the cupcakes went down a treat and everyone loved the cute design and I might even have felt just a little bit proud of myself, for baking my first ever miniature cupcake garden.
In a couple of weeks time, we’re going to some friends of ours for a summer garden party (hopefully the weather will still be warm, fingers crossed), think I’ll make some more of these yummy little cupcakes to take with me. What do you think?
Ingredients ~ makes 8
For The Cake Mixture
110g self-raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
110g margarine or unsalted butter
110g caster sugar
For The Vanilla Buttercream
200g unsalted butter, softened
400g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk (adjust if needed)
green food colouring
rice paper wafer daisies
For The Cake Mixture
- Preheat oven to 190°C/gas 5.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl, then mix in the margarine and sugar.
- Add the eggs into the mixture, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Whisk until all the ingredients are well combined, then divide the mixture equally between the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow cupcakes to cool completely.
For The Buttercream
- Put the butter and icing sugar together in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk to the mixture and stir.
- Add the green food colouring, the amount depends on how green you want the buttercream to look. Just add a bit at a time and stir until happy with the colour result.
- Once all combined, put the buttercream into a piping bag and pipe your design onto the cold cupcakes.
I did have some buttercream left over, but I always find it’s easier to pipe with extra buttercream and you can always freeze it afterwards.
Finally, finish off your cupcakes by adding the wafer daisies to decorate. You are now ready to enjoy your miniature cupcake garden.
Sunday Lifestyle is a UK lifestyle, food and travel blog, please do get in touch if you would like to be featured.