The month of October saw me baking delicious and chewy Flapjacks, which went perfectly with a nice, frothy cappuccino, for The Great British Bake Off Calendar Challenge this month, I have baked delicious and sweet Queen Of Hearts Jam Tarts.
These yummy little jewel tarts are just ideal as a quick bake, as they take no time at all to make and taste utterly scrumptious. I chose to fill mine with three different flavoured jams, apricot, raspberry and plum, as these are my favourite flavours, but you can fill yours with whichever jam you prefer.
7.5cm round, fluted pastry cutter, 12 hole shallow bun tin, small heart shaped cutter.
Ingredients ~ makes 12
For The Shortcrust Pastry
200g plain flour
115g chilled butter, diced
For The Filling
12-18 rounded teaspoons of jam or lemon curd (I used apricot, raspberry and plum)
1. Tip the flour and butter into a bowl and rub until mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Gradually pour in around 3 tablespoons of cold water, to bring the dough together. Work the dough into a smooth ball.
2. Shape the dough into a thick disc, wrap in clingfilm and chill in fridge for 15-20 minutes, until firm but not hard. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan) 375°F, Gas 5.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Use the pastry cutter to cut out 12 circles and then place them in each hole of the bun tin. With the remaining pastry, cut out 12 heart shapes.
4. Put 1-1 1/2 rounded teaspoonfuls of the jam or lemon curd into the bottom of each pastry circle and press down lightly. Don’t be tempted to overfill the tarts or the jam will bubble over as it bakes. Place pastry hearts on top. Bake for around 15 minutes, or until the pastry is pale golden.
5. Remove from the oven and let the tarts sit for a minute in the tin, then remove them and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
These jam tarts are perfect as a first bake and are delicious with a nice cup of tea. Let me know what you think and don’t forget to look out for next month’s calendar challenge, where I’ll be making Hazelnut & Orange Biscotti, scrumptious!
Sunday Lifestyle is a UK lifestyle, food and travel blog, please do get in touch if you would like to be featured.