Well, The Great British Bake Off Calendar Challenge has finally made it to December and I’ve absolutely loved trying to recreate some of the fabulous recipes from this popular show. Some bakes have definitely been easier to make than others, but I have really enjoyed the challenge of producing some treats that, not only have I never baked before, but actually never heard of before!
Last month saw me baking Queen Of Hearts Jam Tarts, which were rather delicious and for the final calendar challenge bake of 2017, I have made Almond & Orange Biscotti. Simple and festive, these rather rustic looking orange and almond biscotti make for a scrumptious Christmas treat and pair perfectly with a coffee of choice.
I’m hoping to recreate more delicious and fabulous bakes in 2018 and hope you will join me on my next journey of The Great British Bake Off Calendar Challenge. Merry Christmas!
1 large baking sheet, lined with baking paper
Ingredients ~ makes about 24-30
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
250g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 medium eggs, beaten to mix
200g blanched almonds, chopped
finely grated zest of 1 large orange
1. Heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas 3. Put the flour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Slowly add the beaten eggs, mixing them in with a wooden spoon to make a firm dough. Sprinkle the almonds and orange zest into the bowl and work into the dough until thoroughly combined.
2. Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured worktop. Knead gently for a few seconds, then divide in half. Flour your hands and shape and roll each piece of dough to a neat log about 25cm long.
3. Transfer both logs to the lined baking sheet, setting them well apart to allow for expansion. Bake in the heated oven for about 25 minutes until golden and just firm when pressed – the logs will spread and flatten during baking. Remove the sheet from the oven, set it on a heatproof surface and leave to cool slightly.
4. Transfer one log to a chopping board and cut across, on a slight diagonal, into slices 1.5-2cm thick. Repeat with the second log, then lay the slices on the lined baking sheet.
5. Bake for a further 5-7 minutes until lightly golden and firm. Turn the slices over and bake for another 5-7 minutes until the second side is golden. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Sunday Lifestyle is a UK lifestyle, food and travel blog, please do get in touch if you would like to be featured.